SVGDocument.URL read-only?

From: Gavin Kistner <gavin@refinery.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:15:00 -0600
Cc: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
To: www-svg@w3.org

I (and others) need a standardized, script-exposed mechanism for saying
to the UA "I'm done with this page, please move to a new one."

(The equivalent of location.href='foo.html' in a web browser dealing
with HTML)

Technically this ought to be possible by creating a click Event and
firing it for an <a> embedded on the page, but this is not only really
ugly feeling, but also unavailable in ASV at the moment, right?

I was going to suggest simply making SVGDocument.URL be not read-only;
setting it to a new value would navigate the UA to that url. However,
this only allows for GET navigation.

What do people think about an additional boolean parameter to getURL
and postURL which instructs the UA to navigate to the url, using GET or
POST as needed, instead of returning the results to the script?

(Consider the case where I have an SVG file which is used as an admin
component. Once the user presses the 'save' button, I would rather POST
the data back to the server, and use its results, since it's
DB-modifying data. I want to be able to post data, without specifying a
dummy form and having to create hidden inputs to fill.)
--
Gavin Kistner @ Refinery, Inc.
gavin@refinery.com