stroke-location:outside

From: Gavin Kistner <gavin@refinery.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:54:55 -0600
Cc: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
To: www-svg@w3.org

I would like to request, and start a discussion on, the addition of a
style/attribute called something like:

	stroke-location: inside | outside | center

In case that's not self-explanatory,

center
	The default, strokes are drawn currently.

inside
	The stroke is drawn inside the path.
	Appears as though the stroke-width was doubled,
	and the object clipped to itself.

outside
	The stroke is drawn outside the path.
	Appears as though the stroke-width was doubled,
	and a no-stroke copy of the object was laid ontop.

See http://phrogz.net/tmp/SVG/stroke-location.svg for a visual example.

Why should this be included?
HTML draws borders like stroke-location:outside.

Photoshop allows this control when stroking (raster).

If I want to nest one rect inside another and not have their strokes
overlap, I need to do annoying math to offset by the correct amount. (I
have a non-contrived example from my own project where this is a
problem, but would take too long to explain compared to its worth as an
example.)

--
Gavin Kistner @ Refinery, Inc.
gavin@refinery.com