[SVG1.2] implementing XSLT (was: 6 XML Events Integration)

Hi Robin

On Mon 2003-11-24 Robin Berjon wrote:
> [...] Generally speaking, I think one should understand "XSLT" as
> meaning "XSLT 1.0" until 2.0 pans out.

Then the issue described in

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG12/#rcc-openissues
11:
"If a declarative syntax is used, SVG implementations may be required
to support XPath and some simple XSLT features. Will the XSLT features
be too much of an implementation burden?"

... will not be a major problem for many implementers since XSLT 1 is widely
implemented already and there are fast C libs available such as libxslt [1] and
various implementations in other programming languages.

In the longer term I still encourage the WG too evaluate XSLT 2; it
offers lots of useful features and improvements over XSLT 1.

> It makes it look less scary ;)

If you're referring to implementers being scared of WXS: There's a "scary" and
a less-"scary" version of XSLT 2.

XSLT 2 can be used without W3C XML Schema, and implementers won't be required
to implement WXS:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#import-schema
"3.13 Importing Schema Components
Note:
The facilities described in this section are not available with a basic XSLT
processor. They require a schema-aware XSLT processor, as described in 21
Conformance."

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#conformance
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#dt-basic-xslt-processor
"[Definition: A basic XSLT processor is an XSLT processor that implements all
the mandatory requirements of this specification with the exception of certain
explicitly-identified constructs related to schema processing.] These
constructs are listed below. [...]"

Tobi

[1]
http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/