Linked paint servers and other resources.

From: Kurt Cagle <kurt@kurtcagle.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:38:35 -0800
To: <www-svg@w3.org>

One deficiency I've noted within SVG is that while it is possible to create
a link to a single external shape through the <use> element there is no
clean way of defining blocks of resources for import. Given that fills,
fonts, etc. can make for large inclusions in a file, I'm wondering about the
feasibility of creating an <import> element with the xlink:href attribute:

<import xlink:href="myExternalResourceLibrary.svg#defBlock1"/>

This would in essence act as the analog of an import library. This would
only be able to retrieve non-rendered graphics: symbols, defs, fonts, and so
forth.

-- Kurt Cagle