Re: SVG 1.2 Working Draft: Comments on 3.2.7 Expression-based attribute values

From: Fred P. <fprog26@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 17:02:03 -0400
To: thomas.deweese@kodak.com, www-svg@w3.org, Kim.Marriott@infotech.monash.edu.au

KM> Actually I don't think I want loops, goto or recursion, I think
KM> that's when you move into a real programming language. What I want
KM> is just enough to provide the sort of layout adjustment that is
KM> required to handle changes in text size or browser window size or
KM> simple widget layout when you have a fixed number of SVG elements.

So, what's the difference between this and HTML table or text-flow or
widget?
I think that if you REALLY don't want scripting, than what you really want
is the <grid> or <table> tags described earlier.

[SVG] grid based layout DTD suggestion
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2003May/0017.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2003Apr/0099.html

Grid layouts and zIndex
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2003Apr/0039.html

Old fashion HTML were able to do +10px and similar using cellspacing,
cellpadding
and tables in tables layout, <div> or CSS for text or images.

The advantage of using <grid> or <table> is that it's XML based and doesn't
involve any scripting.

Therefore, you only need to put your text in a grid table and transform it
the shape you want.

>    This depends greatly on the complexity of the language.  In Batik
>for example it was relatively simple for us to support ECMA Script
>because we could use existing software (which additionally compiles
>the ECMAScript to Java bytecode, which in turn is general compiled to
>machine code - meaning very high performance for complex scripts).

Like I said earlier, this could be implemented with an 'onRefresh' event
handler for each widget.

>    The mechanism for this is as yet undefined, it is most likely to
>use either ECMAScript or XPath - both existing standards.

I think that providing an 'onRefresh' or similar every time an item is
drawn, resized, zoomed, rendered
and providing grid/tables for text rendering.

>    The real question here (in my mind) is should such a document be
>considered a static document.  I am not so sure.

Good point! =P
Are HTML <Table width='70%'> considered static ?

Sincerely yours,
Fred.