Re: video in SVG1.2

From: Dean Jackson <dean@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 01:39:07 +1000
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
To: Sigurd Lerstad <sigler@bredband.no>

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 23:26 Australia/Canberra, Dean Jackson
wrote:

> On Thu, 01 May 2003, Sigurd Lerstad wrote
>
>> ***********************
>> 4.3.3 The video element
>> The video element specifies a video file which is to be rendered to
>> provide
>> synchronised video. The usual SMIL animation elements are used to
>> start and
>> stop the video at the appropriate times.
>> *************************
>>
>> What does this mean? Wouldn't it be better if <video> was a timed
>> element
>> and had begin, dur etc. ? (just like in SMIL)
>
> This is a typo. We meant attributes not elements.
>
>> Does <video> have preserveAspectRatio, just like <image> ?
>>
>> Are <video> and <image> interchangeable elements, much like smil ?
>
> Yes, except for the animation attributes.

My response is a little confused. I strictly meant "no" or
"not at present, we're thinking about it".

<video> references something that is implicitly timed media.
<image> does not.

But, thinking about it a little more, I'm not sure what you
meant by "interchangeable". At the moment <svg:image> is not
like the SMIL variety.

Dean