Re: reminder: RDF Core specs in Last Call

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:18:31 -0000
To: www-svg@w3.org

"Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org> wrote in message
news:10277683046.20030328130222@w3.org...

> There are three possible ways that it could be done; two are
> extensions to SVG and the third is already possible.
>
> a) Add an xlink:href on the metadata element

This is already something I've requested before, an href of METADATA,
DESCRIPTION etc.  Your option 3 whilst neat and as you say already available
today, does mean that the SVG processing needs to be able to parse the RDF
to find the URL, whereas with external it can more easily be discovered and
passed off to external agents.

> Sure, we can update to your newer syntax specification. But all this
> stuff about hiding RDF from dumb HTML parsers is totally unnecessary
> for SVG.

Absolutely, None of todays useragents have any problem with embedded RDF,
and at least 2 of the major implementations (batik1.5b4+ and ASV3) are quite
happy to have internal javascript parse the RDF portions in the metadata
element.

Once we get a way of validating that doesn't require ignoring the RDF
elements (the schema validation mentioned for 1.2 would appear to do this)
there's not even QA problems getting in the way.

Jim.