Re: element visibility only within the group, not whole document?

is it possible to have a white <rect> effect only the objects (e.g.

it appears that the <rect> whites out the entire document.  i am looking
for a way to "erase" <line>s only within one of many <g>s in a document.

i've written my application to place a <set> hidden visibility animation
for every <line> within the <g> and this works, but it does not perform
as well as a single animated <rect> would do.

thanks.