Re: Binary-coded version of SVG?

Hi,

> That's one use case.

Right, I specified that use case to answer to the message of  Double
Y.(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2003Feb/0055.html).

>Are you working specifically in this area?

This is a part of our work but not the only one. We are working in all which
is related to the content adaptation and negotiation problem in
heterogeneous environments
(http://opera.inrialpes.fr/people/Tayeb.Lemlouma/NAC.htm,
http://opera.inrialpes.fr/people/Tayeb.Lemlouma/publication.html) and to the
Device Independence problem (http://www.w3.org/2001/di/).

> while WBXML was moslty a
> failure, there are other ways of binarising documents that can be used. It
all
> depends on what you call "success" :)

Sure, if we see the markup biniarization independently to its use in a
specific protocol, it can always be useful by applying efficient methods and
for different applications (compression, etc.)

> I think that anything *completely* specific to SVG would be a mistake. It
would
> have some utility for SVG Tiny content, but it would soon encounter
arbitrary
> XML. And I'm not getting into "details" such as interoperability. Imho the
best
> approach is to use something generic, optimised for SVG in an open manner
(but
> then I'm biased).

You got the point. Personally I don't know any effort proper to SVG, this is
an interesting problem to see if a specific binarization of SVG can be more
optimized than existing XML binarizations.

Tayeb*

Tayeb Lemlouma
http://opera.inrialpes.fr/people/Tayeb.Lemlouma/index.html
WAM project
National Research Institute in Computer Science and Control (INRIA
Rhône-Alpes, France )
Office B213, phone (+33) 04 76 61 52 81, Fax (+33) 04 76 61 52 07.