Re: Binary-coded version of SVG?

From: Tayeb LEMLOUMA <Tayeb.Lemlouma@inrialpes.fr>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 00:13:14 +0100
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org, Double Ye <iamdoubleye@yahoo.com.cn>

> TL> Efforts done in the binarization of XML can be applied since SVG is
> XML.
> Yes, they can be. I am more interested to hear *why* rather than what.

Chris, the objective of the binarization is to provide a compact binary
representation of the original markup (SVG in our case) in order to reduce the
size of the transmitted content especially in limited wireless networks.

Now two questions arise:

1- Is the binarization of the markup is necessary, thought that WAP models do
not know a great success?
2- If yes, do we need a new binarization specific to SVG?

Tayeb Lemlouma
WAM project
National Research Institute in Computer Science and Control (INRIA
Rhône-Alpes, France )
Office B213, phone (+33) 04 76 61 52 81, Fax (+33) 04 76 61 52 07.