Re: xlink

On Friday, June 27, 2003, 2:05:43 PM, Thomas wrote:

TD> (In fact all the 'real' XML parsers I am aware of _do_ read the
TD> DTD, even when not doing validation, but I don't know the XML
TD> specs well enough to know if this is required or not).

It is explicitly not required by the XML spec.

XPat by James Clark is an example of a well known and widely used XML
parser which does not attempt to fetch the external DTD subset (all
parsers must read and process the internal DTD subset if present).
XPat is used in Mozilla and in Opera, for example. The MSXML parser in
MSIE/Win does fetch and read the external DTD subset, even when not
validation (however, since the parser is not exposed as a service,
plugins typically have to provide their own parser).