Re: Leading/trailing whitespace

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:48:22 +0200, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

>But you just said that the xml:space applies to character data....
>thats what CDATA stands for.

As I mentioned in my prior message, the rules for attribute
normalization are not the same as the rules for content normalization:
An attribute declared as CDATA will not necessarily have its
leading/trailing whitespace removed. Look at the table of examples at
the end of section 3.3.3 of XML 1.0 (Second Edition). It's right there
for all the world to see--normalized CDATA attribute values containing
leading/trailing whitespace.

So once again I ask (with the continuing hope that one day I may get an
actual answer): Should an SVG processor ignore leading/trailing
whitespace in attribute values? Yes or no, that's all I need to know.

Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp
http://www.fenestra.com/