Re: stroke-dasharray delimiters

From: Steve Schafer <steve@fenestra.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:43:28 -0400
To: www-svg@w3.org

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:23:27 +0200, you wrote:

>What you say is true - if the whitespace was changed from optional to
>mandatory, then the comma would serve no purpose. However, the
>whitespace is optional so the comma does serve a purpose.

What you say is quite true, but it really has nothing to do with my
question. :) Let me rephrase:

Nearly all list-type attributes in SVG allow the elements of the list to
be separated by either a comma (optionally surrounded by whitespace) or
by just whitespace, without a comma. For example, in SVG 1.1, Section
4.1, under the description for <list of ...>, we find the following:

"Unless explicitly described differently, lists within SVG's XML
attributes can be either comma-separated, with optional white space
before or after the comma, or white space-separated."

Well, the stroke-dasharray attribute is one of the ones that is
"explicitly described differently." And so my question is simply, why?
Why not allow either comma-delimited _or_ whitespace-delimited values,
as with most of the other attributes?

Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp
http://www.fenestra.com/