Re: Request for onGlyphFailed Event

"Thomas E Deweese" <thomas.deweese@kodak.com> wrote in message
news:16093.57256.391241.427058@frog.rl.kodak.com...

>     Thinking about this an entirely different way, how about adding a
> method such as 'int canDisplayUpTo(String s, int start, int limit)'
> (This is taken from Java's Font API) to the font-face element in the
> DOM.  This allows you to find out what portion of a string a
> particular font-face can (or can't) render.

The problem with this is it leaves me checking if I can render every single
glyph before I can write it, which means I have to do it in javascript, and
makes SVG much less of a mark-up lanaguage, and more of a javascript drawing
API [*]  for example if I get a fragment of SVG, I'll first need to parse
out the text and the fonts, then test etc.

>This also keeps event generation out of the
> rendering engine (something that I think is a real must).

That is more of a problem certainly.

Jim.

[*] I know I generally use it as such, but that's beside the point.