Re: Question on the purpose of SVG

On Sat 26 Jul 2003, Damien Bezborodow wrote:

> Yes, I belive microsoft is, along with better PNG support on their
> Windows version of MSIE.

> Quote "Microsoft showed their Visio SVG import and export.
> Highlight was that they said they did SVG because their
> customers required it. It also meant they could give up
> on many legacy other formats.
> They also showed importing graphics from Illustrator
> and Draw into the one Visio file.
> Microsoft used Open Office running on Linux for
> their slides..... oh no wait, i forgot, it was Powerpoint."
>
> But I would really like to have my question answered by an SVG
> team member, if they can.

If you are asking if anyone on the SVG Working Group has noticed
that SVG includes all the functionality of SWF and adds a lot more
then the answer is obviously yes. Part of developing a rich graphics
language and API is knowing what use cases already exist, as well
as predicting future uses.

However, Jim also makes a good point.

SVG is not trying to compete with Flash, which has a specific
market at the moment. SVG is a lot broader.

Dean