User Coordinate Systems and fat pixels

From: Dwayne Schultz <dwayne@schultz.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:44:16 -0600
To: www-svg@w3.org

I am trying to plot out a graph where my x-axis is something very wide
like years where I am only showing perhaps ten years across the graph
and my y-axis is something very short like grains of sand where I am
only showing the range of 8000 to 10000 from top to bottom of the
graph.  I have figured out the proper translation but when I start
drawing I get very fat pixels that are one year wide and one grain of
sand tall.

Can someone tell me a better way to map this out?  Do I have to leave
my pixels square and do the translations before I get to my SVG
document?  If that is so it seems the translations portion of SVG has
missed the boat (other than that I SVG seems pretty cool :).

Help appreciated
Dwayne