RE: 1.2 WD Comment: editable text

This seems extremely sensible to me, as well.

In addition, I noticed that in the early ASV6 implementation of this, the
position of the cursor and the insert point of typed text were often not
synchronized. I realize that this was an experimental implementation, but it
seems that it would be a good thing to emphasize in the Spec how this should
behave (i.e. the input text should be inserted immediately before the
cursor).

Other points of consideration:
* how is text whitespace is dealt with (should I be able to click on
whitespace to input text? should there be a
"pointer-events:whitespace-sensitive" value?)?
* should backspace and delete keys behave normally, by removing any selected
taxt? I think that would be great.

And just to be picayune, maybe there should be a value for addOnly, to allow
addition to, but not removal of, existing content. But I suspect that's
overkill.

Thanks-
-Doug

Michael Bierman wrote:

> I posted the following. I realize that comments like this are more
properly addressed here so here goes.
> I hope that the spec will require the 'editable' attribute for children
and tspans as well as 'text' elements.
> Otherwise, there will be many cases where it will frustrate developers.
The use case I have in mind is where
> people might want to have parts of a paragraph editable without making the
entire paragraph editable. For
> example, this is a great way to do simple forms such as:
> <tspan text-decoration="underline"editable="true">Michael Bierman</tspan>
> <tspan editable="false">, do affirm that...</tspan>
> </text>
> Other cases would include the ability to use text-decoration within a text
flow while also enabling editable text.