encoding="iso-8859-1" & http://validator.w3.org

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 07:33:41 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
If you look with a little care, there is an example URI included:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/images/shapes/rect01.svg

here is an example of the validation error message:
"I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information it
is impossible to validate the document...."
http://validator.w3.org/
check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%2FSVG11%2Fimages%2Fshapes%2Frect0
1.svg

This problem is general to all the images I have checked.

please can you respond to the original query posted below?

thanks

Jonathan Chetwynd

Begin forwarded message: