encoding="iso-8859-1" & http://validator.w3.org

If you look with a little care, there is an example URI included:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/images/shapes/rect01.svg

here is an example of the validation error message:
"I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information it
is impossible to validate the document...."
http://validator.w3.org/
check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%2FSVG11%2Fimages%2Fshapes%2Frect0
1.svg

This problem is general to all the images I have checked.

please can you respond to the original query posted below?

thanks

Jonathan Chetwynd

Begin forwarded message: