Re: encoding="iso-8859-1" & http://validator.w3.org

On Sunday, July 6, 2003, 10:46:52 PM, Jonathan wrote:

JC> encoding="iso-8859-1" & http://validator.w3.org

(I don't see the relevance of iso-8859-1 to the rest of your message,
please elaborate).

JC> Is there a great reason why the SVG images* in the spec:
JC> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/ don't validate?

Thanks for the heads up. The validator is clearly talking nonsense.
Taking as a random example
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/images/struct/StandAlone01.svg
its valid, and the validator whines about not knowing what the
encoding is.

This is particularly odd since the validator says "And I <i>even</i>
tried to autodetect it using the algorithm defined in Appendix F of
the XML 1.0 Recommendation." (my italics) so having failed to do what
the XML spec says (its not hard, duh) and thus failed to detect that
this is indeed a UTF-8 file then the validator gives up for some
reason.

Well, at least it doesn't say the file is valid. instead, it says it
couldn't validate it which is true I suppose.

JC> Is there a plan to validate SVG images at some time in the future?

They are valid already, so no, there is no plan to change them.

JC> This seems a rather poor practice, web accessibility and SVG have such
JC> great potential!

Could you elaborate?