Re: SVG specs: PDF version: wishes

From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:15:20 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

Hi Dean

> I plan to make some substantial improvements to
> the PDF version of the 1.2 spec. All the things you've
> mentioned are planned at the moment.

Great!

> However, the next SVG 1.2 spec will not be a complete specification,
> simply because we want people to focus on the new things.
> Also, there is the huge task of converting the hand-coded
> SVG 1.0/1.2 specification into something that can be
> easily transformed into PDF. So, you'll have a little wait
> before getting a nice PDF spec.
>
> SVG is a fairly unique specification (lots of images, colors,
> DOM Interfaces, attribute lists, properties, etc). I'm not
> convinced that XMLSpec suits our needs.

Just a thought, to minimize the huge task, especially for future
versions of the SVG spec:
If you build on W3CXMLSpec and extend it in your own namespace, then
perhaps you could reuse their XMLSpec-to-FO-XSLTs and add templates for
your stuff.
... or if that gets too messy, propose additions to W3CXMLSpec.
Anyways, I just thought it would save a lot of effort and time if
languages are shared and tools can be reused.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/