Re: High-Quality Dynamic SVG Viewer

From: Niklas Gustavsson <niklas@protocol7.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:13:42 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

Tobias Reif wrote:
> How should the app do "close all open tags, etc" for the following?
> (Real question :)
>
> <foo>
> <bar>

> <foo>
> <bar>
> </bar>
> </foo>
>
> or
>
> <foo></foo>
> <bar></bar>

If you got
<foo>
<bar>

there is only one way of closing it:
<foo>
<bar>
</bar>
</foo>

If it was to be closed as your second example <foo> would have to be
closed before <bar> which it isn't.

Therefore, I think that Dean is correct when it comes to automatic
closing being possible and well-defined. However, I would like rather
like to see recommendations for rendering SVG using a push/pull parser
(like SAX) but that might be in a future spec rather then in an errata.

/niklas