Re: SVG or SMIL VR options?

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:41:44 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org, jsiburt@mac.com

On Thursday, January 9, 2003, 2:40:33 PM, jsiburt wrote:

jmc> Hi:
jmc> I am currently trying to implement a solution for a client that is a
jmc> home builder. They are interested in IPIX technology. I feel there may
jmc> be a better solution using SVG and or SMIL. Can anyone point me in the
jmc> right direction as far as a standard compliant solution. I have also
jmc> considered QuickTime VR. I built their site using XHTML and CSS. I would
jmc> like to stay valid.

IPIX images give a 3D view of a world; the raster images are captured
in pairs using fisheye lenses and displayed using special software.
SVG does not have the requisite 3D transforms to do this conversion
natively.

However, IPIX could be added as a supported image type (for example,
in Batik) and a combination of IPIX (or Quicktime VR, or whatever 3D
raster image format) plus SVG for the user interface and information
overlays would be a powerful combination.