RE: Request for 1.2: user defined objects in flow

FB> Is it possible to include a "user defined object" in a flow*? If
FB> not, would it make sense to include such a facility in SVG 1.2?

    [...]

FB> So, here comes my naive proposal: could some <flow> Element be
FB> defined that allows for custom objects to be embedded? As 1.2
FB> states: flow layout is intendet to be some kind of
FB> post-processing. The dimensions of a custom object, which resides
FB> inside, say, a <g> element, would already be calculated. This
FB> element could then be handled like a single glyph and placed
FB> accordingly.

    Can you please check the current AltGlyph Mechanisms in SVG
1.0/1.1 (Section 10.14).  In general this sounds like what you want it
may require a bit more work on your part to construct the surrounding
font information but this 'extra' information would allow you to do
most of the things you request below.