Re: "Unicode" attribute on SVG Fonts!

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:26:38 -0000
To: <www-svg@w3.org>

>    Having said this, wouldn't it be just enough to perform/support just one-to-one matching of
> character(s) and glyph(s) simply ignoring the multiple character representation within the unicode
> attributes. Is there a possibility that we may miss the ligature "ffl" altogether or would we

Indic scripts are very dependant on ligatures.  As well as conjunct consonants,
I believe that vowel consonant pairs are taught as ligatures, rather than as rules
for compounding the consonant and vowel mark.   If I remember correctly, Unicode
doesn't distingush between isolated vowels and vowel marks, but even if it does,
I don't remember seeing anything in SVG that would allow the vowel to be correctly
placed relative to the consonant without using a ligature, especially as the short i vowel
precedes the consonent glyph that it follows in the Unicode, and displaces it right..

I think you either have to remove SVG fonts from the profile, or have a sub-profile which
only supports certain scripts.