Re: A subset module "must" use a different name then complete module.

Hi Robert,

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003, Robert Diblasi wrote:

> Questions:
>
> >From my reading of   Sections 1.1.1  and  1.1.2 in the specification:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/intro.html#Modularization
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/intro.html#ElementAndAttributeCollections
> It seems as though a subset module (basic) can have the same name as a complete module( also called the "superset" of a subset). Is this true?

Not really. At the risk of overloading more similar sounding words, I
would say they can have the same base name.
For example "Text Module" and "Basic Text Module" have different
names but the same base name: "Text".

> A module without the "Basic" prefix "implies" that the module includes the complete set of elements and attributes, with no restrictions. But, a subset module "may" define a different named collection from the superset module. Maybe I am not understanding something :-) ....but this seems to suggest that a subset could have the same name a complete module. This should not be allowed.....or is there some reason for this feature....or am I missing something

You should read "implies" as "means" in this case.
Also, "may" as "can but doesn't have to".

> Here are the sentences that are causing the problem.
>
> <snip section"1.1.1 Modularization">
> A module without the "Basic" prefix implies that the module includes the complete set of elements and attributes, with no restrictions, from the corresponding section of the specification. If there is a need to provide a subset of the functionality of the complete module, then a Basic module is created with the "Basic" prefix added to the name of the complete module.
> </snip>
>
> Notice the word "implies"

So...
A module without the "Basic" prefix means that the module includes
all the relevant elements and attributes defined by SVG without
restrictions.

A module with the "Basic" prefix can include a subset of the
relevant elements and attribues defined by SVG, possibly with
restrictions (e.g. not all attribute values are allowed, or
no children allowed for an element)

> and then I read this sentence from section 1.1.2
>
> <snip section="1.1.2 Element and Attribute collections">
> A subset module (ie. a Basic module) may define a different named collection from a superset module.
> </snip>
>
> Notice the word "may"

So...
Any module can define any named collection. A full module (without
"Basic" prefix) and a subset module (with the "Basic" prefix) can
define the same named collection with different values.
The value of the collection is determined by the module that
is included.

> Please respond to this issus....I believe there could be a further negitive implication if modules can have the same name.

I'm sure there's lots of terrible consequences if modules can have
the same name. Don't worry though, they can't!

Dean