Re: crosswordplayer FIXMEs

From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:54:44 +0100
To: L <L@koonts.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Hi Lisa

> [...]
> I use xmllint, er much more frequently now. Validators are helpful
> in  spellchecker capacity, reguardless of other discussions. :).

Often they help with catching relevant errors, I agree :)

> xmllint keeps giving a warning about style, not sure if it matters,
> the  latest one is:
> 	Entity: line 1: validity warning: Attribute space of element style:
> already defined
> 		 %SVG.Core.attrib;
>
>        ^

This is just a warning regarding the DTD, not an error in the
document. The DTD authors are aware of this and say it's not a
problem.

Although in the warning I see here xmllint references a different
parameter entity:

tobi ~ $ xmllint --noout --valid http://www.pinkjuice.com/txt/basictemplate_1_1.svg
file:///home/tobi/bulk/xml/schemas/svg/1_1/dtd/svg11-flat.dtd:2278:
  validity warning : Attribute space of element style: already defined
    type %ContentType.datatype; #REQUIRED
    ^

> >crossword.svg:1168: element rect: validity error : ID handler
> >already  defined
> >/tspan></text><rect id="handler" x="0" y="0" width="30" height="1.5"
> >opacity="0"
>  CSS & Batik Squiggle :
> In Batik Squiggle, ids which are used in both CSS and SVG must be
> unique in the SVG.

An ID must be unique per definition; otherwise it's not an ID :)

The XML spec lists it as validity error though, not as well-formedness
error:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#id

"Validity constraint: ID

Values of type ID must match the Name production. A name must not
appear more than once in an XML document as a value of this type;
i.e., ID values must uniquely identify the elements which bear them."

> This is much more strict than the ASV viewer, but  seems reasonable
> and correct to me. However, it does seem that CSS has  .bla and  SVG
> has <rect id="bla" class="bla"> should not generate an  error.

Correct. Many elements can have a class attribute with the same value.

Good luck with the other issues,
have fun,

Tobi

--