Re: SVG crosswordplayer first release!!

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:09:37 -0000
To: www-svg@w3.org

"Tobias Reif" <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com> wrote in message
news:20031201133814.GA8112@linux...

> The page looks interesting. Unfortunately I can't view the SVG:
>
> 1. Batik Squiggle says that the CSS has an error:
>
> 'The "top" identifier is not a valid value for the "text-anchor"
property.'

This should not stop it rendering... if it does, the whole future of SVG is
doomed, as we need to be able to down version content.  I also don't believe
it should in any case, especially with CSS which is explicitly optional by
design.

> crossword.svg:8: element svg: validity error : No declaration for
attribute onkeyup of element svg
>     xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">

DTD validity is as we know, almost completely useless in the real world, do
you really expect an author to develop a custom DTD to meet validity
constraints which even the WG don't believe are useful.

Neither of these things are the reason why it currently fails in Batik, it's
the reliance on ASV extensions that is doing it, and creating a valid
document whilst still using key events just leads to extra indirection for
little benefit.

Jim.