Re: network

"Randy Nonay" <randy.nonay@net-linx.com> wrote in message
news:3F410F12.41A26D9@net-linx.com...
>   This argument smacks of using logic in the form of "everything else is
flawed, so
> why should we bother to fix the error?".

No, the argument is, the ability of websites to perfrom DDOS attacks on
other websites, already exists, every javascript capable browser on every
platform (even things like AvantGo, and webTV, and Fresco etc. let alone
Opera/Mozilla/IE) already exist, so Denial of Service is not an issue.

Opening sockets back to the same machine, is not a serious problem, a number
of web technologies have been delivering that for some time, without serious
issues.

Opening 3rd Party URLs via HTTP in script exists in IE/mozilla/NN4 in a
trusted environment, SVG in a trusted environment also becomes more useful,
People talk about SVG outside the browser, yet then still limit themselves
to http, as long as the security model is sound (and this is difficult, but
should be tried) then non-web svg applications having sockets would be a
very good idea, if I'm SNMP monitoring my machines, (so basically drawing a
load of graphs) it seems silly to have to pump it over HTTP, and it's
network inefficient - so doing it remotely is very expensive.

SVG is not just for web-browsers.

Jim.