Re: SVG1.2 and network sockets was: SVG1.2 and web applications

Fred P. wrote:
> I agree with you on such point,
> you don't want to create a new trend of virus/trojan/worm
> to be EMCAscript/JavaScript based instead of VBA scripts!
> Don't redo Microsoft Designer mistakes! =)

Providing the ability to open sockets does not open such security issues as
Randy or you describe. It takes opening a more than that to get something as
insecure as Outlook.

> Anyway, does someone really want to create their own protocol over SSH
> in JavaScript ???

Definitely.

> It seems a major case of JavaScript abuse/torture to me, isn't it !?

It'll be much easier in EcmaScript than in C for sure.

> That would be too low level for me at least =)
> Implementing FTP in C/C++ is quite something, doing it in JavaScript ?!?
> Are you serious!

FTP? There's not much that's hard there, especially if you only need to support
the basics. Mozilla has quite sizeable chunks of some protocols handled in
EcmaScript, and it's very much straightforward. IRC in Chatzilla is an example
of that.

> That would be a really awful way of dealing with the problem.
> Like Randy says, I don't want a user to be prompt 2000 times by a
> SVG/JavaScript connection hook
> inside an HTML document with embedded SVG to force him to connect to
> something he really don't want,
> like some damn ActiveX webpage that do all sorts of nasty thing.

But that bears no relationship. If one wishes to use an IRC client written in
SVG, they'll be prompted once for each network they use, which if they use it
often is really not much, certainly not the nightmarish thing you describe.
We're talking about SVG, not IE. No nasty ActiveX or whatever.

> Talking to a Server via SOAP/XML-RPC looks more natural.

IRC over SOAP would not be natural at all. And if the discussion got just a
little excited, you'd have to wait to the heat death of the universe before
you'd get all the messages!

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/