Re: Feedback on SVG 1.2

"Robin Berjon" <robin.berjon@expway.fr> wrote in message
news:3F336796.4040503@expway.fr...

> Jim Ley wrote:
> > The only situation I would want SVG WG to define UA controls would be in
> > situations where they are OS/Window manager native ones, since the
biggest
> > problem I have with web-applications, is having to define my own
behaviour
> > which may differ to what the user is used to.
>
> Have you looked at the new CSS property 'appearance'?[0] As specified it
is
> almost completely unusable by SVG, but would something similar help?

My general problem is not with the appearance, but the behaviour, seting the
appearance would probably be even worse if we couldn't ensure the behaviour
was also appropriate.

> > In a related way Mozilla has defined its own behaviour so it is
different to
> > every other application I use, this makes it almost completely unusable
> > me
>
> And I hate the way those silly OSs don't use Mozilla's ui behaviours :)
This is
> one of the parts where "native" becomes difficult.

Window managers are extremely configurable, Mozilla's maybe (although I
believe only with a recompile), but I'm hardly going to go to the effort of
doing it even on an application, I'm certainly not going to do it on a
web-app, I'll just go elsewhere.  (focus following mouse, and not auto
raise, are the biggest problems mozilla seems to be unable to deal with on
winXP)

>Taking a plugin running
> inside Mozilla, on windows. Which look and feel does it pick?

A plugin, in mozilla? - I'd expect it to use mozilla actually (it should
inherit from the app, even if the app is getting it wrong), however a
web-app in SVG would propably have to choose some other random format.

> I'd expect Mozilla, you'd expect windows.

Nah, the "assume windows" was even worse, mozilla used to attempt this on an
early beta, but they obviously assumed default config windows, and it was so
bad as to be incompatible with my config (to get to a sub-menu, you had hold
your mouse down and drag to the right place.)

Jim.