Re: [SVG] Experiment and proposal

"Fred P." <fprog26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:BAY2-F80kgU4oEXMcb500013dc0@hotmail.com...

> However, how do you proceed to have SVG images layout without FIX size?

What exactly do you mean, what are you trying to achieve? SVG images don't
have a fixed size, yes one rectangle is fixed in its size relative to
another, but when marking up an image, that's kind of important, the meaning
of the image could change alarmingly if you allow that (I created an example
for a related
problem: http://jibbering.com/2002/8/text-mixup.svg )

> However, why does SVG1.2 try to redo XHTML layout stuff
> in a 'different' way ?

XHTML has very few layout semantics, and none in its strict versions, it's
not a language for layout, it's for marking up text.

> What about having SVG items
> being layout not statically but dynamically?

Other than a basic grid (to save you having to precalculate the BBoxes) what
else do you want?

> >         But you do this in your authoring application and NOT (usually)
> >on-the-fly in the JS/DOM of the SVG...
>
> I'm not using any tool, I'm using a basic editor,
> and my SVG graphics will be generated by scripts using data
> from a database back-end not an authoring tool at all.

Your scripts are an authoring tool, it would seem appropriate that they do
the calculations, if your elements are kept to a reasonably fixed size then
the calculations are trivial, if not then you do have a more complicated
problem.

>>         SVG fully supports all of that...but none of that effects the
>>layout because it's based on fixed positions and mathematical
>>transformations for scale/zoom INSTEAD of content reflow/relayout as
>>XHTML is.
>
> I mean resize and having your component resize!

Yes, this is quite normal and currently well supported, look at the viewbox
attribute.

Jim.