Coordinate systems in 1.1/1.2

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 06:52:58 -0500
To: www-svg@w3.org

My major criticism of SVG 1.0 was that it was not possible to rescale
the coordinate system. That is, you couldn't say things like one inch
= one mile and then draw a map using miles which the renderer would
automatically convert to on-screen inches.

The coordinate systems seem to have gotten more complex in 1.1 and
1.2, and I can't quite tell if this is possible now or not. Can
anyone enlighten me? Is it now possible to redefine the scale in
absolute units for the entire drawing?

--
Elliotte