Re: 1.2 feedback: Streaming

From: Niklas Gustavsson <niklas@protocol7.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:25:39 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

> > Your right. ASV does in fact conform with half of the requirements, it
> does
> > show content during loading. It does not however (in my quick
> experiments)
> > run any animations as is required.
>
> Do you have the document you used?

I tried some different version. The last one looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.0//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd">
<svg xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" width="100%" height="100%">
    <text x="100" y="100">Begining of document</text>
    <rect id="kalle" width="50" height="50" fill="green" />
    <animateColor xlink:href="#kalle" attributeName="fill" from="green"
to="red" begin="kalle.click" dur="2"  />

    <!-- 3 Mb comment -->

    <animateColor xlink:href="#kalle" attributeName="fill" from="green"
to="blue" begin="kalle.click" dur="2"  />
    <text x="100" y="150">End of document</text>
</svg>

> One thing to note is what are you animating at which time, the beginning
> animation is normally the onload of the containing SVG (see
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/animate.html#RelationshipToSMILAnimation ) so
> your animation may well not have been starting simply because time 0 had
> never been reached, to see some animation, you'd need a number of svg
> elements in your document, however it appears ASV does not support this
> either - but that would appear to be a problem w.r.t. to when onload
> fires for a given element, as much as not supporting animations -
> javascript based animations work from the word go...

I only tried using SMIL animation. My guess is that this is what the spec
means by "animation" even though it could certainly be done using scripting.
SMIL animation doesn't start either on time 0 or on events before to entire
document is loaded. Making it pretty useless for streaming.

/niklas