Re: SVG 1.2 General feedback

From: Vadim Plessky <plessky@cnt.ru>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 18:41:39 +0300
To: Thomas E Deweese <thomas.deweese@kodak.com>, Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

On Monday 18 November 2002 5:37 pm, Thomas E Deweese wrote:
|  >>>>> "JL" == Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com> writes:
|  JL> 2.1 A default rendering would be very nice, it's not always
|  JL> desirable to spend time developing a UI widget, and it is best for
|  JL> understanding if we can have consistency between different
|  JL> applications where it's appropriate.  I also like the idea that
|  JL> there's a stable default rendering that users who don't understand
|  JL> a particular authors scheme can "switch to"
|      It doesn't come across well in the draft, but the largest issue
|  here is that this pushes the WG to develop software.  This is not
|  something that is generally the domain of standards organizations.
|  Who will develop and perhaps more importantly maintain the default
|  implementation?  Handle bug reports, etc.  Obviously, if the question
|  is a simple do you want to have a default rendering or always have to
|  write your own the answer will always be give me a default rendering
|  (after all I can then decide not to use it).  But the real question is
|  do you want the resources of the working group devoted to the writing
|  of an SVG widget set or any of a number of competing issues?

What kind of widgets you are speaking about?
SVG -based User Interface (Widgets, Window Decorations, etc.) is in my plans,
but I would like to see capable renderer (available as Open-Source) first.
Xr/Xc, together with libsvg and librxsvg, are very promising technologies, but
those libs are not ready yet.

Kind Regards,
Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky