Re: SVG 1.2 General feedback

"Thomas E Deweese" <thomas.deweese@kodak.com>

> JL> This is some short general feedback on various areas, more
> JL> specific feedback on the SVG window interface will follow.
>
>     Thanks for taking the time to review this...

On a cold/wet November day when I'm nursing a knee injury, there wasn't
much else to do...

> Obviously, if the question
> is a simple do you want to have a default rendering or always have to
> write your own the answer will always be give me a default rendering
> (after all I can then decide not to use it).

Ah, right, I slightly misunderstood, I don't want the SVG WG to define
how widgets should look, but I would want each UA to have to define a
rendering of its own (most likely inherited from the UI conventions of
the OS/app the UA is being used with).  So as an SVG author I don't need
to say how the widget is going to look as the UA will use a default which
will hopefully be known to the user, but that doesn't mean that it need
look identical to the widget created on a different device.

> JL> 7.1 DOM access to images - Some image formats allow multiple XML
> JL> documents to be included (e.g. Adobe's XMP can have multiple, or
> JL> live alongside EXIF) it would be nice if we could make all
> JL> available, but if not the spec should specify which (the "first"
> JL> presumably.)
>
>     We already require support for some image formats (PNG and JPEG),
> do people have suggestions/requirements for metadata formats that
> should be required?  (Please be realistic here and reasons would be
> helpful).

Adobe's XMP would be what I would most like, especially as it's already
an XML format, so it fits nicely - although I may well be biased in that
I already implement a server-side JPEG/XMP -> SVG app, which would be
much nicer done on the client.  EXIF of course would be nice - the main
reasons I want both is for Photo cataloging/annotating systems - see the
latest RDFPic (which doesn't seem to be on jigsaw.w3.org - that's still
the older version) and http://jibbering.com/svg/AnnotateImage.html

Jim.