Re: SVG spec--lines

From: <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:15:28 EST
To: askinner@avs.com, www-svg@w3.org
In a message dated 15/11/2002 22:02:11 GMT Standard Time, askinner@avs.com
writes:

> Hi.  I'm confused by a couple of parts of the SVG spec.
>
> The 'line' element spec says:
> "Because 'line' elements are single lines and thus are geometrically
> one-dimensional, they have no interior; thus, 'line' elements are never
> filled (see the 'fill' property)."
>
> But the 'fill' property says:
> "The zero-width geometric outline of a shape is included in the area to be
> painted."
>
> This would give a definition to 'fill' for a line.
>
> Are these statements contradictory?  If so, which is correct?

Hi Andy,

I don't think they are contradictory. However, their meaning isn't instantly
obvious either.

The first is saying that a line has no fill.

The second is saying that the outline of a (shape)line is zero-width and is
*part of* the fill (implicitly if there is one). Since for a <line> element
it is never filled i.e. there is *no* fill, as the first statement you quoted
indicates then the "geometrical outline" is include within something that
doesn't exist - the fill - (for a <line> element).

So the outline of a line, like the rest of the fill, doesn't exist and
therefore shouldn't be painted.

At least that's my $0.02 on it.

> There does seem to be a fill in the Adobe viewer, because there is a line
> down the middle of my line when I make my line dashed and wide.

Yes, I think the consensus is that this is a minor bug in the Adobe viewer.

Andrew Watt