Re: Tinier SVG

On Thursday, November 14, 2002, 5:42:05 PM, Simon wrote:

SSL> thomas.deweese@kodak.com (Thomas E Deweese) writes:
>>    This is _far_ from absurd.  If you don't have text you don't need
>>to do text layout, doing text layout is not an easy thing, especially
>>given internationalization concerns (BIDI - vertical).

SSL> I think it's time to give up. This list plainly has no interest
SSL> whatsoever in creating something that might actually be useful on
SSL> a small and relatively stupid device, and this example simply
SSL> demonstrates how far off the mark we can go.

See, its inflammatory comments like that that get peoples backs up.
Just when it seems there is agreement, off you go again randomly
insulting swathes of the population.

SSL> Implementing text as a series of vectors on a slow system without
SSL> much memory is not at all practice.

I assume you meant 'practical'; if so, then experience shows your
remark to be incorrect.

SSL> The amount of internationalization support inherent in such an
SSL> environment is also pathetically minimal, so at some point you do
SSL> have to throw up your hands and just say forget it.

Well, I am sorry you are having difficulty articulating a coherent
point of view. First you say its too big, now you say that removing
stuff is hopeless and throw up your hands....

SSL> I originally posted in July, and today in November I have to deal
SSL> with a small army of SVGites horribly offended that I dared
SSL> question the priorities of SVG Tiny.

Your characterization, not mine. Finding 'SVGites' on www-svg might
not be considered surprising to most people. Horribly offended is also
somewhat wide of the mark.

SSL>  At some point you do have to
SSL> throw up your hands and just say forget it.

Yes, you seem to have done that, but then can't resist saying everyone
else is stupid and doesn't get the plot. Maybe its a bad day. I have
seen you make much better arguments in the past.