General Text Metrics Requirement

From: Allen Razdow <arazdow@mathsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:51:25 -0500
To: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>

SVG List,

I haven't followed all details of the recently
accelerated discussions, but would like to state
a simple requirement I hope SVG will support:

The ability to obtain metrics on a text string,
in prevailing units such as pixels or points or picas,
before rendering it.  Length, maximum ascent/descent would
do, and length of a substring.

For example, rendering a mathematical fraction properly
(without MathML) would requre such.

It was my understanding that SVG 1.0 did not allow this easily,
requiring escape into script+DOM to obtain these metrics.

-Allen Razdow