Re: The 'image/svg+xml' Media Type

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:17:05 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org, Dave Hodder <dmh@dmh.org.uk>

Hello Dave, www-svg,

Some time ago you wrote in this message

> I'd be interested to know whether the W3C has any intention of
> submitting an Internet-Draft for this media type in the near future; if
> not would anyone be unhappy about it happening independently of the W3C?

> Yes, very unhappy. Especially if you added a mandatory charset that
> has not been needed for image/* types, thus making the entirety of SVG
> usage either non-conformant or broken, at a stroke.

This mail is just to confirm that the issues of MIME registration are
once again under discussion in the SVG WG; that the related issue of
registration of a MIME type for ECMAscript has also recently
restarted, and that we do indeed plan to release a registration
document shortly.

The issue of a possible parameter to indicate the profile, or to
indicate the version of SVG, or to indicate a charset in parallel with
the XML encoding declaration, was discussed; some people were happy
with this to be optional (but then, it could not be relied upon) and
no-one was in favour of making it mandatory. Existing practice
indicates that these parameters are not needed, and can be harmful.

This decision simplifies the remaining issues to creating a
registration document that will work for all SVG 1.x, not just SVG
1.0, thus aiding deployment.

In the mean time, the wording from the SVG 1.0 Recommendation still

The MIME type for SVG is "image/svg+xml" (see [RFC3023]).

 Chris                          mailto:chris@w3.org