Re: The 'image/svg+xml' Media Type

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:17:05 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org, Dave Hodder <dmh@dmh.org.uk>

Hello Dave, www-svg,

Some time ago you wrote in this message
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2002Jun/0040.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2002Jun/0041.html

> Yes, very unhappy. Especially if you added a mandatory charset that
> has not been needed for image/* types, thus making the entirety of SVG
> usage either non-conformant or broken, at a stroke.

This mail is just to confirm that the issues of MIME registration are
once again under discussion in the SVG WG; that the related issue of
registration of a MIME type for ECMAscript has also recently
restarted, and that we do indeed plan to release a registration
document shortly.

The issue of a possible parameter to indicate the profile, or to
indicate the version of SVG, or to indicate a charset in parallel with
the XML encoding declaration, was discussed; some people were happy
with this to be optional (but then, it could not be relied upon) and
no-one was in favour of making it mandatory. Existing practice
indicates that these parameters are not needed, and can be harmful.

This decision simplifies the remaining issues to creating a
registration document that will work for all SVG 1.x, not just SVG
1.0, thus aiding deployment.

In the mean time, the wording from the SVG 1.0 Recommendation still
stands:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/intro.html#MIMEType
The MIME type for SVG is "image/svg+xml" (see [RFC3023]).

--
 Chris                          mailto:chris@w3.org