Re: X11 Colors (was Last call comments on CSS3 module: color)

On Thursday, May 30, 2002, 5:50:25 PM, Tobias wrote:

TR> [ re http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2002May/0074.html ]

TR> Hi

TR> AFAICS, something like the color naming scheme described in
TR> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1996Feb/0006.html
TR> looks very promising (although I think there should be some more hues).

Not immediately apparent from that posting (though visible in the
examples), the hues can be combined. Same as one can say north, east,
north-east, north-north east one can say blue, green, blue-green,
bluish green and greenish blue. Thus there are six hue keywords (red,
orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) but 24 hues specified in the
system.

white gray and black have no hue, and brown is an alias for dark
moderate orange. From memory (it was a long while ago). Will see if i
have a copy of that paper around somewhere, in a file cabinet at
INRIA most likely if it has not been thrown out.

It remains to be shown, though, that any color naming syntax has any
benefit over entity references which can be used to assign any desired
color to any desired keyword, under user control, in any language,
with 100% interoperability and no changes to the specification.