Re: [svg-developers] RE: The <use> element in SVG 1.2 / 2.0

From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 20:53:13 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org
CC: AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
Hi Andrew,

I don't remember all the limitations of the use element, but IIRC, Jon
once said ~ "SVG2 will have a more powerful (version of the) use
element"; I hope Dean et al will work on that. I didn't find anything in
the requirements for SVG1.2/2.

I didn't really understand what you wanted to achieve with the use
element in the particular case
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2002May/0060.html etc:
"differential styling and differential animation of styling on a <use>
element."

Did my example
http://www.pinkjuice.com/temp/SVG/animate_def.svg
help?

Again; there definitely are limitations of the use element (eg those
related to the DOM), and I hope the WG will improve it.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/