Re: beginner question

From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 12:32:59 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org
Ori,

> I have looking into SVG for about a few days, pretty much beginner,
> and I have a sort of general question:
> I want to create a tool (hope to do it in perl) which will generate SVG
> graphs ( bars, lines...) and will get all its params (look and data) from
> XML files.
> What is the best way to do so? are there any tools which might help me with
> this task?

Here are some tips for serving generated SVG:
http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/RubySVG/

Most points should be quite parallel to Perl.

Here are some simple examples, using Ruby (a Japanese language similiar
to Python):
http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/RubySVG/examples.xhtml

Here's an example which combines a skeleton, a layout template, an SVG
Font, and data from an RSS feed:
http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/RubySVG/examples.xhtml#examples_osource_news

Other options for generating SVG are
XSLT
http://www.schemasoft.com/gcatools/gca2html/Output/05-05-02.html
SVG.pm
http://www.roasp.com/
Batik
http://xml.apache.org/batik/svggen.html
and any other technology that can manipulate text, better XML, best SVG.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/