animation performance

From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 22:03:29 +0200
To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
CC: www-svg@w3.org
Hi,

I think it would be great to have performance hints, just like rendering
hints.

In

<!ENTITY % PresentationAttributes-Graphics

we have

shape-rendering
  (auto |
   optimizeSpeed |
   crispEdges |
   geometricPrecision |
   inherit)
text-rendering
   (auto |
    optimizeSpeed |
    optimizeLegibility |
    geometricPrecision |
    inherit)

Parallel and in addition to that I think we need someting like

<!ENTITY % animPerformanceAttrs
  "(auto |
   verySmooth |
   smooth |
   lowProcessorUsage
   inherit
   )">

"verySmooth" specifies that the player should set the highest possible
framerate, inside an appropriate range, which also depends on the
available resources (CPU speed, CPU usage, ...)

"smooth" should provide a good compromise between fluid animation and
resource usage.

"lowProcessorUsage" (a better name should be chosen) assigns lowest
priority to the fluidity of motion, and optimizes towards very low
resource usage.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/