Please help with defs, a, and adobe...

From: Sukmoon Chang <sukmoon@cs.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 16:14:19 -0500
To: www-svg@w3.org
cc: sukmoon@cs.rutgers.edu
Dear All,

I recently started to learn svg (mostly thru svg essentials).
It looked fairly easy to follow and learn until I faced the
following problem:

<svg width="100" height="300">
 <defs>
  <g id="TMP">
   <a xlink:href="http://www.w3.org/graphics/SVG/">
    <rect x="20" y="20" width="50" height="50" style="fill: red;"/>
   </a>
  </g>
 </defs>

<use xlink:href="#TMP"/>
</svg>

Since the rectangle is clickable in batik-viewer but not in adobe
viewer 3.0, I got curious which one is the right behaviour.  In adobe,
can't find anything about it in the specification.

If the correct behaviour is to be clickable, is there a workaround
to make it so in adobe?  Since this behaviour is essential to me,
I have tried many things (such as symbols...) that I can come up with
as a newbie, but nothing works.
Any help/comments would be sincerely appreciated.
Thank you very much.