Re: TNTmips GIS gets SVG

On Friday, 22 March, 2002, 17:58:14, Lance wrote:

LD> Well  I had mentioned it as a possible now its becoming a definite, I am
LD> writing the code that will include direct
LD> export from TNTmips, MicroImages GIS software to SVG format.

Great

LD> Also on the todo list is import SVG.

Even better. But as you notice that immediately brings up:

LD> What does anyone suggest as a method for encoding the projection information
LD> and metadata associated with groups and objects?

Which is addressed here

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/coords.html#GeographicCoordinates

which in turn references

http://www.opengis.org/techno/specs/01-014r3.pdf

Basically, the Coordinate Reference Systems and Coordinate
Transformations are describes using an industry standard vocabulary
from the Open GID Consortium, and the whole thing is put in a metadata
element. This can be short, if referring to well-known coordinate
systems, or verbose if describing custom ones.

The SVG WG would be particularly glad of further review of this
section from people whose interests include GIS, location based
services, geology, archaeology, historical mapping, etc etc.