Re: Text Background

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 17:57:28 +0100
To: "Joe Mihalich" <jmihalich@questerra.com>
CC: www-svg@w3.org
On Friday, 15 March, 2002, 23:58:07, Joe wrote:

JM>         Hi,

JM>         Does anyone know to accurately have a <text> object
JM>         Have a colored background fill?

Not in SVG 1.0, without a certain amount of messing around with
script, or use of text length.

JM>         I do not see any attributes that allow you to specify
JM>         that you want a fill behind the text (a solid colored
JM>         rectangle that completely surrounds the text).

How much control do you want on how closely the solid area abuts the
text (ie, padding around the edges). Would it be a rectangular area?

What would the desitred behavior be for skewed text? for text on a path?

JM>         Right now, I have to calculate what I think the rect should
JM>         Be in an active-x control based on the font metrics of
JM>         The font selected. I then draw a <rect> with the coordinates
JM>         Of the rect I calculated, and then I draw the <text> object
JM> after that      and Specify the "textLength" to the rectangle's width,
JM> and the
JM>         And the lengthAdjust to "spacingAndGlyphs".

JM>         It seems kind of "hacky" to me, but it works.

Yeah, that's what I meant by 'messing around'.

Not currently, in SVG 1.0, but there is a clear need to do something
like this in a later version provided it is well specified.