Re: The 'image/svg+xml' Media Type

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:20:42 +0100
To: <www-svg@w3.org>

From: Jim Ley [SMTP:jim@jibbering.com]

> Given that conformant dynamic SVG applications must implement ECMAScript
> that being the same is not IMO sufficient.

If conformance requires scripting support, I would say that there is no
way that image/ is appropriate.

Even PDF which, at least, used to have much less power than SVG with
scripting, is an application/ format.

In addition, image/ implies relatively benign contents, whereas, to me,
scripting implies a whole future history of security breaches.  If compliance
requires scripting, I'm unlikely to allow my browser to be fully compliant most
of the time  and some organisations are likely to make this corporate policy.

Static, basic SVG might justify the use of image/svg.