[www-svg] <none>

624.8362.98.camel@sphinx>
Subject: Re: The 'image/svg+xml' Media Type
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:34:44 +0100

"Braden McDaniel" <braden@lnk.com>
> On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 08:40, Jim Ley wrote:
>
> [snip]

> > > Such as?
> >
> > I've not seen a draft... I have reservations about it being in the
image
> > space at all, it seems to fit better in application/*  (are there not
> > risks with non svg aware agents consider image/svg+xml to be binary
data
> > for example?)
>
> I don't think it's reasonable to assume "image" means the representation
> isn't textual. The registry already seems to be populated with some that
> are.

I agree, however RFC 2046 doesn't, 4.2

   Unrecognized subtypes of "image" should at a miniumum be treated as
   "application/octet-stream".

So whilst I don't think that should prevent image/svg+xml, I still think
it's something to consider (equally when svg is mixed with other XML
namespaces xhtml/mathml etc. you would not be using image/* then - so why
have image for this one arrangement?    Dynamic SVG with text wrapping,
xforms etc. I don't think image/svg+xml is "obvious".

Jim.