ISSUE: DOM Level 3 Events module makes mandatory DOM Level 3 Core

From: Dean Jackson <dean@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 08:45:46 +1100
To: www-svg@w3.org
----- Forwarded message from Thierry Kormann <tkormann@ilog.fr> -----

From: Thierry Kormann <tkormann@ilog.fr>
To: DOM <www-dom@w3.org>, SVG <www-svg@w3.org>
Subject: [Moderator Action] ISSUE: DOM Level 3 Events module makes mandatory DOM Level 3 Core

Hi,

The SVG Working Group will provide a SVG1.1 specification, an updated
version of the SVG1.0 specification that will contain bug fixes and
small new features.

On one hand, the SVG WG believes there is a strong need to add
TextEvents support in SVG1.1. On the other hand, the SVG WG thinks
that making DOM Level 3 Core mandatory for SVG1.1 is too big.

Issue:

According to '1.1. Overview of the DOM Level 3 Event Model':

"In order to fully support this module, an implementation must also
support the "Core" feature defined in the DOM Level 3 Core
specification [DOM Level 3 Core]."

The SVG WG is wondering why DOM Level 3 Core is required in order to
fully support DOM Level 3 Events module. At this time, the goal of the
SVG WG is to support DOM Level 3 Events module with DOM Level 2 Core.

So, can this statement be removed from the DOM Level 3 Events module?

BTW: I didn't notice any incompatibility between the DOM Level 2 Core
specification and the DOM Level 3 Events module. The new features
added to DOM Level 3 Core does not seem to have an impact on the
Events module. In addition, I manage to compile the DOM Level 2 Core
and DOM Level 3 Events module Java bindings together.

Thierry.

----- End forwarded message -----