Re: custrom svg attributes?

From: Niklas Gustavsson <niklas@protocol7.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:34:19 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

Hi there!

randy.baron@Roche.COM wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is allowed to make custom svg attributes?
[snip]
> I didn't see anything to confirm this in the svg spec, mailing lists, searches, etc.
>    I tried it using the Adobe plug-in for Internet Explorer and it opened without a problem
> but I would like to know if it is somehow 'officially' allowed, or does one have to make a
> local, custom SVG DTD in order to avoid any obscure problems.  In the end I will be
> displaying the svg with Batik/Java and would like to add some element related data
> as an attribute.

The SVG spec says how to do this at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/extend.html#PrivateElementsAndAttribute

Your allowed to add your own attributes. The best option is probably to
add them under a seperate namespace. Your will have to define them in a
internal DTD to make the file valid. The SVG# Viewer will not allow it
otherwise, I'm not sure what Batik does.

/niklas